Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Donuts..the homemade way...

My kids love getting treats at the store.  If we happen to be in our favorite grocery store, they always ask for a donut.  I oblige and usually (though not lately..trying to be good) I get a bar donut with creamy maple buttercream frosting on top.  My kids pick the chocolate glaze donut.  We love donuts.  I have been known to eat like five glazed donut at one sitting..(just once though and that was like ten years ago..really, I am telling the truth).  I wanted to see if I could make my own at home, and to see if homemade was better.  Need I worry?  no.  I made two versions.  One of which I didn't get pictures.  Batteries dead.  Anyway, one was a baked donut. (I ended up frying these) the other was fried.  I liked the idea of a baked donut, but I didn't like the texture.  A donut is suppose to be fluffy, and melt in your mouth..you don't want to chew a donut, right?  I love how Krispy Cremes just melt in your mouth.  So, if you want a healthier version, then head to this blog and check out her baked donuts. Let's be honest though, when I am eating a donut, I'm not thinking about it's health content, or what it will or won't do to my thighs.  Donuts are for indulging in. Glazed and Simple.

Homemade Donuts:
4 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
3 tbsp sugar
6 1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter melted
4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 eggs
oil for frying.  I used Olive oil, because that is what I had on hand.   I haven't been buying vegetable oil since reading this book (and ignore the fact that I am making something with sugar and refined flour in it)

Place yeast, sugar and milk in a mixing bowl and whisk until it is foamy.  Add the eggs and butter and mix until just incorporated.  Add 1 cup of flour and mix.  Switch to your dough hook, and add the rest of the flour one cup at a time.  Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead just a few times, maybe six to eight times.  Place your dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a dish towel and place in warm spot and let rise, 45-60 minutes.  Roll out dough to about 1 1/2 inches thick, and cut your circles.  If you don't any fancy round cutters, just use your biggest cup and a pastry tip (these worked great for me!)  Place the shaped donuts on lightly greased baking sheets, cover with dish towels and let rise again for about 30 minutes, or until just risen.  Start heating up your oil.  Meanwhile, make this chocolate glaze if so desired:

Chocolate Glaze: (courtesy of Alton Brown)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tbsp corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla
4 ounces chocolate, chopped
2 cups sifted powder sugar

In a pot combine butter, milk, syrup and vanilla.  Heat until butter is melted.  Decrease the heat and add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.  Take off of heat, place in a bowl over warm water and whisk in powder sugar.  (the warm water will help to keep the glaze smooth and um, glazed.)

Fry your donuts in batches.  Let the donut cool slightly and then dip into the glaze, let the extra glaze run off and then place on a cooling wrack to let the glaze set.  Repeat.  You can also use a sugar glaze or cinnamon sugar.  These were so good.  When I was frying them I thought they were going to be more like scone, which isn't what I was going for..but surprise, once these puppies were cool enough to eat, they had the same texture as a store bought donut, just better!









1 comment:

  1. Oh can't wait to try this recipe! Now I just need a recipe for a maple frosting...YUM!

    ReplyDelete