Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chocolate Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

What do you do when you have over ripe bananas staring at you from across your counter?  The obvious choice would be, make banana bread.  But I've been there, done that.  I love the idea of searching for new recipes, and low and behold this one popped up on my radar while searching on my favorite pin board site, yes, Pinterest.  That place my friends, is amazing.  Not only can I organize my um obsession with food blogs, but I can keep track of all the yummy recipes I want to try.  My padre asked me once if I actually try the recipes I pin, and yes, yes, folks, I do.  Here is one I highly recommend.  I changed the recipe somewhat, and used almond milk instead of coconut milk.  I also left out the cinnamon. Switched the frosting as well.  I like chocolate frosting, but my kids love peanut butter frosting right now.  And who doesn't like a peanut butter, banana sandwiches with chocolate chips?  Never tried it?  you should.

Chocolate Banana Cupcakes the original recipe can be found here

1 cup almond milk (I'm pretty sure you can use milk too)
1 cup mashed banana, about 2 overripe bananas
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (opt)

preheat your oven to 350 and prepare your muffin tins with cupcake liners.  In a bowl, combine almond milk, banana, oil, sugar and vanilla extract.  Stir to combine.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk until combined.  Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in.  Slowly stir, incorporating the wet with the dry and mix until just combined.  Place in your cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes.  Let cool and then frost.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups powder sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. heavy cream or milk
Cream the butter in your mixer until light and fluffy.  Add the peanut butter and cream until combined.  Scrape down sides.  Add the powder sugar slowly, (unless you want to look like a snowman) and then increase speed, let the mixer run for about 2-3 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy again.  Add the vanilla and whip cream, or milk.  Continue to mix for about 2 more minutes.  Place in a piping bag fitted with your desire tip and frost your cupcakes.  Sprinkle with chopped salted peanuts if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment