Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes

About a month ago, I made cupcakes almost every day for an entire week.  I was in love with my new kitchen aid, she was crying that she needed to be paid attention too, and I couldn't just ignore her. (making cupcakes every day for a week, might be the reason why my special someone is cupcaked out..) I have tried lots of recipes..many many many cupcake recipes. I know, I'm a little crazy when it comes to cupcakes.  It is like a constant ache in my soul if I can't make cupcakes..just kidding, I'm not that crazy, YET.  I have a few recipes that I know are scrumptious, delightful and the best EVER.  I am not kidding. This is one for the money, baby.

 If you love moist cake, this chocolate pumpkin cupcake is for YOU.  This recipe is the one that convinced me that I should only make cakes completely from scratch.  Real butter, sugar, flour, pumpkin, the best chocolate powder you can find..yep.  Very good.  So, I decided I would share.  I found this recipe on MSN when I was checking my email.  I have found similar ones, but they really can't compare to this one.  In the original recipe, it called for nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon.  I have some weird aversion to cinnamon and chocolate, not sure why. but I am scared of cinnamon anything..except toast, which in reality is a heck of a lot of sugar, with some cinnamon on heavily buttered freshly toasted bread...Sorry, tangents..

Here is the best Chocolate Cupcake recipe EVER..(well maybe not EVER, but I do love it... I had to freeze most of the cupcakes from that lovely week, because I was in danger of eating every last one of them and they taste just as good thawed as the day I baked them.)

Chocolate Pumpkin Cake:

2 1/2 cups plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa
1 tablespoon  baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, use regular milk, just add a tsp of vinegar and let sit for a minute or two)
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/8 cups unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 1 /2 cups sugar
5 large eggs


In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda.  Sift together well.  Set aside.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree with the buttermilk.  Set aside.  In your mixer with the paddle attachment cream together the softened butter and sugars, 3 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, mixing for 30 seconds each time.  Alternate mixing in the four and buttermilk, ending with the flour.  fill your cupcake liners with batter and bake 20-22 minutes in a preheated oven set at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment