Friday, April 8, 2011

Best S'mores ever (if you aren't by a camp fire that is)

A few days ago, I was browsing through one of my favorite food blogs, and saw this wonderful idea that I have never even dared thought was possible..homemade Honey Graham Crackers.  Oh my.  I will never go back to buying these puppies.  I didn't take a picture..camera dead, and lighting bad.  So, you'll have to use your imagination, or just visit this blog if you want pictures.  Here is the recipe...I made some slight changes to it, because I am an impatient baker, I know, not a good thing sometimes, but hey, you know you love me anyway!

Honey Graham Crackers:
2 1/2 cups plus 2 tbl. all purpose flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt
7 tbl. unsalted butter, chilled
1/3 cup clover honey
5 tbl milk
2 tbl vanilla extract

In a mixer, or food processor, blend the dry ingredients. (I found that I needed a little more flour than what the recipe called for, maybe about 1/4-1/2 cup extra)  Cut the butter into small cubes and  add to the dry and mix until small crumbs form.  Add the wet ingredients, and mix until dough forms.  Lightly flour plastic wrap, and wrap your dough, let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.(the first go around with this dough, I did chill it.  The second time, I did not owing to time, and they worked out just fine)  Flour your rolling surface and roll out the dough in a rectangle, either use a pizza cutter and just cut out the shape of the traditional crackers, or use a cookie cutter and cut out shapes you like. I used a scalloped heart one.  Poke holes in the cracker, use either a tooth pick or a wooden skewer) Preheat oven to 350.  Spray your cookie sheets generously, and place the cookies on them. Bake them for 10-15 minutes. (I actually found that my oven is super hot, so, I only cooked mine for nine minutes, and they turned out great!) You can sprinkle the crackers with cinnamon and sugar right before baking if you want too.

I topped my graham cracker with marshmallow fluff (Mindy...) and broiled it for a couple of minutes or until the marshmallow was toasty brown, and then squished a piece of chocolate on top and ate it in you know, in three delicious bites.  YUM! And because it's raining today, i think I am going to enjoy about six more!  HA!

1 comment:

  1. ha!! marshmallow creme.. love it. i am going to try these with the cinnamon and sugar on top. sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete