Sunday, April 24, 2011

Seven Minutes in heaven..

I have been looking for some new frosting ideas lately.  I'm bored with buttercream (gasp!) so with my trusty Ipad in hand, I looked at all the websites I visit on a fairly regular basis.  And tah-dah!  It was there, almost like it was waiting for me.  SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING.  Dear Martha had a very, very long and involved process for hers.  It would have taken me longer than seven minutes to make.  Plus, she made it so complicated, it drained all desire out of me to try.  And then I found another website..got to love GOOGLE.  And found this very simple, straight forward way of making seven minutes of heaven.  Well, I mean, seven minutes after you make this..because you won't be able to stop licking the spoon, it is that yummy!  I have now made it twice, and each time, I fall head over heavenly heels for this white, glossy, fluffiness.

SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING:

1 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
2 egg whites
2 tsp. corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

On the stove top, either prepare your double broiler if you have one..or just do what I do, and just place a small pot of water on the stove with a metal mixing bowl on top.  You need to make sure that the water is boiling before you start this frosting..otherwise you will be standing there, whisking a white mess for a lot longer than seven minutes! Just you know, my first mistake. :)  Once the water in your pot is boiling, put your ingredients in the mixing bowl except for the vanilla, and with an electric hand mixer, start mixing the ingredients together over the bowling water.  Set the time for seven minutes and mix on high.  You'll be standing there the entire time, mixing, and mixing, and mixing..the mixture will start to foam, and then it will start to come together, and at around minute three, you'll mixture will start to thicken and turn a lovely white.  Keep mixing until your timer goes off.  Take the bowl off the boiling water, and move it over to your counter.  Add the vanilla and mix until it is well incorporated, about 1 minute.  If you are using a piping bag make sure that is all set up before you start the frosting.  This stuff sets up really quick.  And you are done.  Seven minute heaven.  I'm telling you, this is divine!

Today, I added too much corn syrup..added 1 tbsp instead of 2 tsp..oops, but not really.  The frosting just didn't set up as quickly and did not dry out as fast either.  My son thought I was making the candy, DIVINITY, which is similar to this frosting..(he calls it "vinity")  He licked the the beaters, he licked the spatula, and he licked the bowl clean, so I am guessing he really loves Vinity! And trust me, you will too! Tomorrow, I am sharing my new chocolate cupcake recipe, I am sure you can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment