Sunday, August 7, 2011

You should try this Chicken Salad

So whenever my family gets together for a big event, like a baby shower, baby blessing, baptism and wedding we all ask my Dad to make his chicken salad.  It is yummy and slightly addicting.  I love it.  Usually, this salad is served on buttery croissants, but I have lately sworn off refined sugary foods..(which never fear, does not mean I will not be making anything with sugar or flour..I just won't be eating them..lucky neighbors) Anyway, I have tried to stay away from meat, and have been doing pretty well with that, but every once in a while I want a nice juicy hamburger, or some chicken.  And since I have been training..um, for my first half marathon, I have been craving protein like crazy.  So, while I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, there are times when my body is telling me that I need something more.  Here comes Dad's chicken salad.  It is divine with or without the croissant and it tastes better the next day, and the next day.  Especially if you are the only one in your household who likes Mayo.  I don't know the exact recipe, so adapt the amounts for how many people you wish to feed this scrumptious salad to.  I also added the parsley, because I thought it would compliment the other flavors and I was right!

Paul's Chicken Salad (serves around four people)
3 frozen chicken breast
1 scallion, chopped
finely diced parsley
1/2 red bell pepper, small dices
slivered almonds
about 10-15 red seedless grapes, cut in half
2-4 tbsp mayo..just enough to bind the salad

Preheat oven to 350 and place the frozen chicken breast in a baking sheet, pour water into the pan, just to cover the bottom of the pan, season the chicken with Season Salt, salt and pepper and bake for 1-2 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through.  when the chicken is cooked, dice into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl.  Add the chopped vegetables and the mayo and stir until coated.  Taste. It might need more salt and pepper.  Place, covered, in the refrigerator for at least two hours, or overnight, and then enjoy!  (sorry no pictures, my camera's battery is dead and I need to charge it. Story of this blog, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment