Sunday, June 17, 2012

Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes with Seven Minute Frosting

I was asked to make a celebration cake for a 50th wedding anniversary.  I am testing out recipes this week. My family should feel very blessed, and my waist line, well, maybe I'll see my toes again one day.  The thing about my very first cake order, (I'll pretend I am not nervous in the least) is that this couple has dietry needs. I have to make a dairy free cake.  GASP.  Is there such a thing as dairy free cake?  I am all about the butter, ladies.  Slather me up and call me Bessie.  I love me some butter.  So, I have to wonder, would a dairy free cake even work?  I have this week to test the cakes out.  My first attempt, well, the end product was alright, but a little too rustic for my needs.  So, second attempt and I might just never go back to my old stand by vanilla.  Double GASP.

I found this recipe somewhere on the web.  It was late, I think I just started typing in dairy free cakes and hit upon this website.  The cake just came out of the oven.  I would recommend trying this recipe.  If you are interested in cooking vegan, I think this would be a great addition to your recipe book, or if you are like me and just need an alternative to butter add this to your recipe book.  For those times when you have run out of butter and you are dying for a cupcake!  (trust me, we all have those days)

Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes

2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. All purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 cup Soy Milk (I used unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk)
1 Tbsp. Cider Vinegar (I used White Vinegar)
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare baking pans if using or prepare your cupcake tins. In a bowl, add flour, baking powder and soda, salt and sugar.  Whisk together really well until all ingredients are incorporated.  Add soy milk, vinegar, canola oil, and vanilla and whisk together until the batter is very smooth.  Place in prepared pans or cupcake liners and bake in the oven.  25-30 minutes for cake, or 15-20 minutes for cupcakes, or until the cake bounces bake when lightly touched.  Let cool slightly in the pan and then let cool all the way on a wire rack.  Frost and serve.

You are welcome.  (pictures will be forthcoming...it's late and I haven't made frosting yet. Sue me, it's Father's Day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment