Sunday, February 17, 2013

Apple Muffins

I have been reluctant to buy cook books over the years.  Not for any reason, really.  Lack of funds maybe.  Lack of space most likely.  I am now the proud owner of four brand new cook books.  One being "The Food You Crave"  I like this cook book.  One of the recipes I have recently tried is the Apple Pecan Muffins.  I have a problem with breakfast.  I usually don't eat it.  But the rest of my family.  Well, they do.  So what to feed them?  Oh, wait, you mean, I have to feed my children in the morning?  It's required I suppose.  And cold cereal has it's place, but we run out all the time.  ALL THE TIME. So muffins solves this problem in that they can be baked the night before and I love to bake, and they come in 12-24 portable sizes, great!

Apple Muffins

3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole grain pastry flour or whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1 golden delicious apple, cored, peeled and diced

Preheat oven to 400.  I used muffin liners in my cupcake tin, but you don't have to, just spray those babies with cooking spray.  In a medium sized bowl, combine flours and baking soda.  In a small bowl combine pecans (I used finely chopped almond slices because I did not have pecans) 2 tbsp of brown sugar and the cinnamon and stir to combine.  In a large bowl, combine the rest of the brown sugar with the canola oil.  Then add the eggs, applesauce and vanilla.  Alternate the flour and buttermilk until just combined.  Gently stir in the diced apples.  Pour in the prepared muffin tins, sprinkle the cinnamon/pecan mixture on top of each muffin and bake, for 20 minutes. Notes on this recipe: my children did not love this muffin. Also I am assuming that muffin tins are larger than cupcake tins? I didn't mind these muffins, but I had to freeze most of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment