Saturday, March 9, 2013

Black Bean and Spinach Enchilada's

I pinned this recipe a while ago while in search of some new vegetarian meals.But made a few alterations.  My family was getting tired of the same meals, and frankly so was I.  I needed a meal that incorporated more green vegetables.  Although my kids like eating green vegetables, they are hard to put in every day meals sometimes.  This recipe was actually fairly simple to make, and with early preparation the day before, with just a few steps they were in the oven nice hot and bubbly within 30 minutes.  My kind of meal on a busy night.

I tend to make a big crock pot of beans early in the week depending on my meal plans for the week, and this week happens to feature a lot of black bean recipes, so into the pot they went on my day off of my lovely job. I also chopped all the vegetables while I waited for the sauce to cook.  In light of the fact that I didn't like how the sauce in the original recipe was turning out, i called my mother in law and used her recipe for enchilada sauce.

Black Bean and Spinach Enchilada's  
8 servings
to make the sauce:
in a medium sized bowl combine
4 TBSP. canola oil
4 TBSP  all purpose flour
1 TBSP Chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
whisk together until smooth.
Add about 3 cups of vegetable or beef broth to this whisking until smooth.  Then add to your sauce pan, heating on medium high heat.  Whisk occasion to smooth out any bubbles.  Let it come to a gentle simmer.  Keep whisking until sauce has thickened slightly.  Keep warm

Meanwhile, for the enchilada's
1 clam shell of earth bound farm spinach, or about um, 2 cups?
2 cups black beans
1 cup corn
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves finely minced
4 to 6 green onions, chopped
1 bunch of cilantro
2 cups finely shredded cheese of your choice
8 soft tortilla shells

In a large skillet, heat up a small amount of oil over medium heat.  Add chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add the spinach and wilt slightly.  Add the beans and corn to warm them up.  Add the green onions and half the cilantro. Stir and cook until spinach is cooked down.  Turn heat off.  Preheat oven to 400.  Prepare your baking dish.  Spread some of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.  I used a plate, and then placed my tortilla on that to fill up.  Place the filling on top, pour a little of the sauce on top, sprinkle with some of the cheese and tightly roll up the tortilla, and place in the baking dish.  Repeat.  When the pan is full, pour the rest of the sauce over the enchilada's and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 25 minutes.  Pull out of the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment